Useful Information & Motor Safety Tips

Here are some motor safety tips to help you stay safe and sound. After all, prevention is the best type of insurance we know.

  • DON’T drink and drive
  • DO wear you seatbelt
  • Ensure your passengers have their seat belt on before starting your journey
  • Be on alert and pay attention to what is happening around you
  • DON’T get absorbed in activities that prevent you from being alert, such as texting, talking, eating, drinking and even changing radio stations
  • If you need to use your cell phone, or send/receive texts, safely pull off the road first
  • Pay attention to road signs and always drive within speed limits
  • DON’T leave your keys in the car, even if you only intend to be away from your car for a few minutes
  • DO always close your windows and lock the doors when you leave your vehicle
  • In fact, never leave it running if you have to step away, even for a second
  • DO keep valuables in the boot of your car or hide them away out of sight under a seat or in the glove box
  • DON’T leave your house keys behind, if your car were stolen, you would want to be the one that winds up with keys to your home
  • If you feel tired and drowsy, get someone else to drive. If you are alone, just take some time to rest and get back on the road when you feel you are fit to drive again
If you have any unanswered queries about what we have to offer, please refer to the Car Insurance questions below. If, however, you do not find the answer you are looking for here, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
  • Why do I need car insurance?
    In Mauritius, it is illegal to drive without car insurance. The minimum level of cover, i.e. third party, is required by the law and without car insurance you won’t be able to pay your road tax.
  • What sort of policy should I choose?
    The main policy types to consider are third party (Plan One) and comprehensive insurance (Plan Two and Plan Three).
  • What is a third party car insurance?
    Third party car insurance (Plan One - Value Cover) is the minimum level of cover required by law. Putting third party car insurance in place means, in the event you cause damage to someone else's property or injure them while driving, that person will receive appropriate compensation.

    However, anything that happens to your vehicle, or injuries to you are not covered by third party insurance.

  • What is a comprehensive cover?
    Comprehensive car insurance (Plan Three – Full Cover) offers the most complete level of car insurance protection available.

    A comprehensive car policy covers your third party liability for injuries to other people, including passengers, as well as damage to other people's property.

    Your own vehicle is also insured against fire, theft, accidental damage, riot, strikes, lock-outs, civil commotion, cyclone, tempest, flood, tidal wave and tsunami.

  • What is an excess?
    An excess is a sum of money your insurance company requires you to pay towards the cost of making a claim. Without an excess, claims would increase dramatically and, ultimately, the cost of insurance would have to rise. Charging an excess means that insurance companies can keep the cost of insurance premiums lower, making them more affordable.
  • Can I increase my excess amount?
    You can choose a higher excess and this will help bring down the cost of your car insurance premiums.
  • Can I buy my car insurance policy online?
    Yes, you can now purchase a Quantum Car Insurance policy online by using your credit card or online bank account.
  • How do I renew my policy?
    We will send you a renewal notice 40 days before the expiry of your car policy. This will explain what you need to do to renew your car insurance with Quantum for another year.
  • Can I renew my car policy online?
    Yes, you can renew your Quantum Car Insurance policy online by using your credit card or bank account by logging into your account.
  • Will my policy automatically renew?
    We will automatically renew your motor policy, unless you have asked us not to. If you paid in full, we won’t automatically renew your policies if your payment does not authorize. We may, at our discretion, choose not to automatically renew if you have an unpaid balance or have had difficulty in making your payments. If you pay by instalments, cancelling your direct debit will not stop your policy from automatically renewing; you must contact us to stop the renewal. We will write to you before the renewal date to explain what will happen and to let you know what the policy terms and new payments will be.
  • What factors affect my insurance premium?
    Several factors are used to estimate your insurance premium. Amongst these factors are the age of the driver, driving experience, vehicle value and past claim experience.
  • Can I transfer the insurance cover to the new owner when I sell my car?
    Your insurance premium is determined based on your profile; it is not possible to simply transfer insurance coverage from one driver to another. Your existing policy will be cancelled. The new vehicle owner will then be required to buy a new insurance policy for registration purposes.
  • What should I do in the event of an accident?
    In the unfortunate event you find your car has been involved in an accident, or involved in any other incident which may result in a claim by you or a third party, please contact us as soon as reasonably possible on 659 0659 during our normal business hours (Mon-Fri 08 30- 16 30) or go to My Account to register the claim.

    A claims advisor will take the details of your claim and advise you on what you need to do next.

  • What are my obligations in the event of an accident?
    First, attend to anyone who has been hurt in the accident. If anyone is injured, call an ambulance if necessary and then call the police to obtain an incident number or else just fill in your Statement of Agreed Facts (Constat a l’amiable).
  • Exchange these details with the other driver:
    Exchange these details with the other driver:

    Telephone number

    Vehicle registration number

    Insurance company and policy number

  • What happens if my car has been stolen or receives theft related damage?
    If your car is involved in a theft related incident, the first thing you will need to do is contact the nearest police station and obtain an Occurrence Book Number (OB Number) and then contact us as soon as possible.
  • What is a total loss?
    In many cases, the cost of repairs to the vehicle may exceed the value of the vehicle. Should this be the case, Quantum will appoint a qualified Motor Surveyor to assess the value of the vehicle prior to the accident and you will be made an offer for the settlement of your claim. If you are insured under an agreed value basis, we’ll pay you based on your sum insured less any deductible.
  • What if the accident was not my fault?
    If you have been involved in an accident which is 100% not your fault, Quantum will arrange with the third party insurer for the repairs and your no claims discount may remain unaffected.
  • What happens if the accident was my fault?
    If you have comprehensive cover, Quantum will arrange for the repairs to your vehicle or the settlement if the vehicle is a total loss.
  • What should I do if the other party contacts me?
    If you receive any correspondence from the third party, their insurer or solicitor, forward this unanswered to us and we will respond on your behalf.

    If you are contacted by telephone please ask the caller to ring us on 659 0659 during our normal business hours (Mon-Fri 08 30- 16 30). Please do not agree to any of the services offered without talking to us first as any services offered by the third party may not be in your best interest.

What do you require for a quote?

Everything you need to know about getting a Car Insurance quote.

It only takes a few minutes to get a Car Insurance quote. It’ll be even quicker if you have certain bits of information handy.

Whether you get your quote car insurance online or over the phone, you’ll be asked to answer a number of questions. The number of questions will help determine a more accurate quote. A bit of time there could save you money long term.

The basic questions include:

  1. The make, model, year, registration mark of the vehicle
  2. The date you wish the car insurance policy to begin
  3. Details of the driver(s), including the year they got their driver’s license
  4. Sum to be insured of the vehicle
  5. Any additional accessories and their cost
  6. How the vehicle is financed
  7. Whether it is used for business or private use
  8. Past claim experience

Your car insurance quote will end with the options available and then an annual and pay-by-month quote will be generated.

If using the online car insurance quote service, you can save your quote for later.

Tips for saving money on your motor insurance with Quantum

The price you pay for your comprehensive car insurance is determined by a number of factors, some of which you can control.

You’ll reduce your car insurance quote if you:

1. Limit the number of drivers (Named Driver)

2. Buy your Motor Policy online

3. Have a claims free record

4. Receive your documents in a digital format by mail (paperless discount)

5. Adjust your Excess

Vehicle Registration

How to transfer ownership of a vehicle?

1. Transfer ownership of a vehicle purchased from someone else

The previous owner should provide you with the registration book, 2 originals of the deed of sale and a “Certificat de Gage” obtained from the NTA.


Click here: Deed of Sale Format

The deed of sale should be registered at the Registrar General’s Department within 15 days of the sale transaction.


Click here: Registration Duty on Motor Vehicles

You should call at the NTA with:

The original deed of sale duly registered + 1 photocopy of the same document; and

A valid insurance certificate on your name (Get a Quote).

The vehicle will be transferred to your name after you have paid a fee as follows:

Autocycle - MUR 100 / Motorcycle - MUR 200 / Other vehicles - MUR 300

2. Transfer of ownership of a vehicle in case of death of the registered owner

You should call at the NTA with:

The registration book of the vehicle

The original and 1 photocopy of the affidavit duly registered by the Registrar-General.

In case of a vehicle with duty concession, a certificate from the Customs Department of the MRA authorizing the transfer of the duty concession to the Succession will have to be produced.

In case there is a lien inscribed on the vehicle, an authorization from the body in favor of which the lien is inscribed for the transfer of the lien to the Succession will have to be produced.

3. Transfer of ownership of a vehicle under lease agreement

For any vehicle purchased under a lease agreement, the lease should be cleared prior to any sale being effected. The procedures for transfer of ownership are as follows: 

The lessee should call at the NTA with:

The registration book of the vehicle

A letter from the leasing company certifying that the lease may be cleared

2 originals of the deed of sale

A letter of authorization from the leasing company allowing him to take out a Certificat de Gage

The deed of sale should be registered at the Registrar General's Department within 15 days of the sale transaction.

The lessee should call at the NTA with the original deed of sale duly registered + 1 photocopy of the same document and a valid insurance certificate on his name in order to be registered as the owner of the vehicle.

Once the lessee becomes the owner, he may sell the vehicle to another party.

How to obtain a Certificat de Gage?

A “Certificat de Gage” is a document issued to the owner of a vehicle when his vehicle is being sold. It certifies whether or not the vehicle is burdened with a lien.

The registered owner should call at the NTA with 2 original copies of the deed of sale, the registration book of the vehicle and his original National Identity Card to obtain the “Certificat de Gage” against a payment of MUR 50.

Clearance from Customs Department will have to be obtained for vehicles on which customs duty was remitted fully or partly or else the “Certificat de Gage” will not be issued.

Choice of registration mark for a vehicle?

(1) Running series registration mark for new or second hand imported vehicles

You want to choose a specific registration number from the running series

Call at the NTA with your National Identity Card

Fill in the form for reservation of the registration mark

Pay the reservation fee of MUR 2,000

Note: You will have to produce the receipt when you are registering your vehicle

(Download application form)

(2) Old registration mark (i.e. a registration mark issued prior to 10 April 1992) for new or imported or any other vehicle

You want to have an old registration mark allocated to your vehicle

You may submit your application online through the service hosted by the Government Online Centre (GOC) provided you are already registered with the GOC.

Click here: Application for NTA Specific Registration Mark

Follow the instructions on the login screen, select a registration mark of your choice and submit your application. Please note down the tracking number displayed after you submit your form. You will be required to quote the tracking number in case you do not receive any acknowledgement e-mail, in which case you should call at the NTA within 5 days of the submission of your application.

(3) Transfer of old registration mark from existing vehicle to another vehicle belonging to the same person.

You want to have the old registration mark on your existing vehicle transferred to another vehicle you have purchased or which belongs to you.

Call at the NTA with your National Identity Card. You will be requested to fill in a form so as to effect the transfer of registration mark and pay the fee of MUR 3,000 provided that you, as registered owner, have previously paid the fees for the allocation of the old registration mark. 

In case the registration mark is for a vehicle in your possession, you will have to bring along your registration book for varying the registration mark.

How to obtain a duplicate in case of loss of registration book?

Call at the Police Station of your locality to obtain a memo from the police certifying that you have reported the loss of your registration book.

Call at the NTA with your National Identity Card and the memo from the police. In case of a company, a letter from the company should also be produced authorising you to apply for and collect the duplicate registration book.

Fill in an application form and pay the fee of MUR 1,000.

If you cannot call at the NTA yourself, you can request someone else to collect the duplicate for you. When filling in the form, you will have to specify the name of the person and his National Identity Card number. You will also have to send your National Identity Card with the person collecting the duplicate on your behalf.

(Download application form)

How to proceed for any amendment in the registration book?

(i) In case of change of address

Call at the NTA with the original registration book of your vehicle and a proof of your new address (Utility - CEB, CWA or telephone - bill).

Your registration book will be amended to reflect your change of address.

(ii) In case of change of engine/colour of vehicle

Call at the NTA with the original registration book of your vehicle and an amendment form issued by the vehicle examiner. The necessary amendments will be made to the records of your vehicle.

How to inscribe a lien on a vehicle?

Call at the NTA with the registration book of the vehicle.

Bring the loan agreement duly registered at the Registrar-General’s Department along with an official letter from the financial institution concerned with the loan.

The lien will be inscribed after payment of a fee of MUR 400.

How to remove a lien from a vehicle?

Call at the NTA with the registration book of the vehicle.

Bring along the original letter from the institution from which the loan was contracted with its official seal thereon certifying that the loan has been paid for and the lien may be removed.

The lien will be removed after payment of a fee of MUR 400.